The brilliant Maya Angelou once said, “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” Our beloved progressive community is in a rebuilding phase — regrouping, learning, changing, and becoming stronger for the great victories ahead. That’s the dream that a conference like Netroots Nation holds for all of us and it’s certainly why we are heading to Atlanta this week for #NN17!
Here at Fission we are committed to taking the best learnings we can, and using them to build more powerful and diverse movements. We want to see the good guys win.
Get in touch with us if you will be there too. Interested but can’t attend in person? You’ll be able to livestream here: http://www.netrootsfoundation.org/ and keep up on Twitter with #nn17.
Here’s where you can find us at Netroots Nation this year:
- Drinks for Progress with Hustle and Fission CEO Cheryl Contee on Thursday, August 10 from 6 to 9 pm — Come to Pacific Rim Bistro at 303 Peachtree Center Avenue NE in Atlanta for chats over drinks with Cheryl and the good folks at Hustle. Cheryl is a proud advisor to Hustle’s super-smart Customer Success team.
- Kairos Fellows Innovate + Imbibe Happy Hour on Thursday, August 10 from 6 to 7:30 pm — Join Fission’s Senior Digital Strategist Aimée Castenell at the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta, hosted by the Kairos Fellowship, New Media Ventures, and Voqal. Learn how each org is supporting social entrepreneurs, diverse digital leaders, and progressive change-makers. Find out how you can get involved as a fellow, mentor, host organization or partner.
- Training with Cheryl Contee on How to Win the Internet and Influence People on Friday August 11 from 9 to 10:15 am in Embassy F — Dale Carnegie was right: It’s important to make friends in order to persuade people effectively. The game has changed and a reality TV star has become the most successful online influencer in history as the leader of the free world. Silicon Valley startups and major corporations have understood the power of micro-influencers for years. Learn how you can use free or low cost tools through platforms like Hootsuite and Instagram to build relationships with those people who have reach and relevance in key communities in this advanced training.
- Fission Office Hours with Aimée on Friday, August 11 from 5:30 to 6:30 pm — Find Senior Digital Strategist Aimée up in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta to ask your questions about digital engagement or Tweet her @aimeeorleans. Come say hi and chat about solutions to your digital issues!
- #AskASista: Black Women Muse on Politics, Policy, Pop Culture, and Scholarship with Cheryl Contee, Chief Empowerment Officer on Saturday, August 12 from 9:00 to 10:15 am in Regency VI — You’ve heard the statistic again and again. 94% of Black women voters voted for Hillary Clinton and against Donald Trump. Indeed, Black women have been at the forefront of progressive thought and movement in North America, continuously without the proper recognition, financial investment or confidence. Come ask us q’s!
— Cheryl Contee (@ch3ryl) August 10, 2017
Netroots Nation and I have a long and dear history — here are pics as a blast from the past!
Cheryl Contee is Chief Empowerment Officer of Fission Strategy and Co-Founder of Attentive.ly and #YesWeCode. Her super power skill besides mommying an awesome little guy is tai chi sword.